Cascade Elementary PTO Scholarship
$1,000 Scholarship available
Eligibility: Attend a minimum of 2 years at Cascade Elementary
Be a graduating Senior, and accepted into a college, university or vocational school
DUE MAY 12, 2017
Tips for Searching for Scholarships
Scholarship lists are available to students and parents. The Kamiakin list is available in The Career Center and on our website. This list includes both national and local scholarships and is mostly for seniors although there are occasional opportunities for non-seniors. This list in no way includes every scholarship that’s out there. Look at the websites of other high schools as well as other sites, including the ones below. Our Career Specialist in our Career Center, can help students and parents access these resources and answer many questions.
Here are some tips for students and parents about searching for scholarship money:
- Be motivated – it’s hard work. It involves searching websites, writing essays and being very organized. Parents and students need to decide the time and effort you are willing to expend.
- Be supportive – help keep tabs on deadlines, recommendations and essays but don’t do all the lifting.
- Don’t pay for a service.
- Stick close to home – try to land local scholarships (these usually come out later in the school-year) from groups that you know or hear about. The odds of winning a nation-wide mega scholarship are not in your student’s favor. A more effective use of your time is to pursue scholarships from your employer, church group, local service chapters in the community and awards for special interests like future teachers etc.
- Set realistic goals – how much money do you want to go after?
- Pay attention to details – deadlines matter. Follow directions. If they want a 3.0 minimum don’t apply with a 2.5. Complete the entire application. Kids frequently skip stuff. Review the application with your student.
- Give us time - If the application needs counselor (or teacher) signature or information, give us time. Don’t press deadlines by requesting required information and signatures at the last minute.